Covering Exposures Behind the Lens: Camera and Film Insurance

Published on Thu, 07/19/2018 - 03:22

If you’re a photographer, videographer, or other creative professional in the camera and film industry, your clients count on you to create memorable images. And there are many factors involved in getting the right shot, whether your work involves Hollywood blockbuster films, educational videos, or local weddings. But your ultimate success depends on more than your skill behind the lens. It also depends on your ability to prevent routine risks from becoming costly liabilities.

When you consider all of the potential risks that could devastate your bottom line, they can add up quickly. Here are just a few:

  • Loss of camera, lighting, and other equipment due to fire, theft, power surges, or mechanical breakdown
  • Damage to props, sets, and wardrobes
  • Professional liability exposure due to equipment failure or errors in judgment
  • Time and cost to get replacement equipment when filming in remote locations

To protect your profits, below are four types of insurance you should consider:

  1. Property. If your photography equipment or other business property is stolen or damaged, property coverage will pay to replace it. Don’t forget to insure your equipment for 100 percent of replacement value.
  2. General Liability. Accidents happen, and if someone trips over your loose electrical cord or collides with your light stand and sustains an injury, you could be legally responsible for the medical payments. Liability insurance protects you if you’re ever sued for causing injury to another person or damage to another person’s property. And since liability lawsuits are costly, you’ll want to purchase the highest limits you can afford.
  3. Professional Liability. Commonly known as Errors & Omissions insurance, this coverage protects you if you should make a mistake with scheduling, lose or damage memory cards, or even take "compromising" photographs – all situations that could hit your pocketbook and your reputation hard. E&O coverage can pay damages when a court rules against you in a lawsuit, and keep your reputation intact.
  4. Commercial Auto. Don’t assume your personal auto insurance will cover you if you have an accident while on the job. If the vehicle is owned or leased by your business or used mainly for business purposes, you’ll probably need commercial auto coverage. And if you have employees who use their personal vehicles for work related errands, you may need non-owned auto insurance.

Why you need an expert

Just like professionals in any other industry, you face a host of potential risks that could shutter your business operations and derail your creative dreams. So it’s vital to protect yourself. And while any insurance agent down the street may have good intentions, you need a partner with the industry knowledge and experience to understand exactly what coverage you need.

At Heffernan Insurance Brokers, the camera and film industry is one of our specialties. After years of research, we’ve developed a camera and film insurance program tailored exclusively to your industry and your special insurance needs. We’ll help you make sure the lights stay on, the cameras keep rolling, and the action never stops.